Thursday 15 January 2015

OUGD405 STUDIO BRIEF 3 - INDESIGN INDUCTION 2

In the second InDesign induction we learnt how to make a frame for a photograph or text that was an unusual shape, simply by using the pen tool and then converting it into a frame. This allows you to make a frame literally any shape or size you want, which is definitely something I will take with me into further brief's if I want to create an image that's a weird shape. We also learnt how to make a frame have a coloured background, and also how to changed the outline stroke and colour too. I didn't think this last piece of information was that necessary to give, as it's pretty self explanatory, and you can also do this on both Illustrator and Photoshop as well, which the majority of people on the course know how to do I would imagine. We also learnt how to change the colour of text too.

This is what I produced during this induction, experimenting with the different techniques we were taught about.
We also learnt how to insert Illustrator vector images into InDesign documents as well. This is different to inserting any other file, as vector files don't use pixels, but mathematical formulas to construct the images, so the quality never lessens when you change the size of the photograph. This means you can simply copy and paste the image into the document, rather than placing it, which actually loads the image onto InDesign, rather than adding a preview of the file. You can also place it in the normal manner as well.
In this induction we also learnt about the resolution of our photographs, that they should always be 300dpi to be of the best quality. When I was looking through the photographs in my publication, pretty much all of them were only 72dpi, so I then spent a good chunk of time changing all of my photographs to .psd files and changing the actual dimensions of the photographs so that they are the right scale for the frames, and also the resolution of the photographs so that they were 300dpi, to try and prevent them from printing blurred. This induction was really useful to me, as otherwise I wouldn't of checked my photographs resolutions and they could have printed extremely blurred, which wouldn't of made my publication look very professional.

No comments:

Post a Comment