Wednesday 7 January 2015

OUGD405 STUDIO BRIEF 3 - PAGE ORGANISATION

To help with organising the pages of my publication, now that I have undergone sufficient research and experimentation into layout, I have a fairly good idea of what my publication will look like, I decided to make a rough page plan, to see how many pages I am actually going to be dealing with, and what order they should go in.

Starting to plan my pages, numbering each page as I go. Brief descriptions on each page so I know what's going where. 

Continuation of planning the pages of my book, adding in the survey analysis at the back, and also the possibility of the triangle photograph double page spread. I also recorded which 10 of the 20 destinations I researched I will actually include in my publication. I cannot include all 20, as I am limited on pages with regards to how many pieces of paper the staplers in the digital print resource will be able to punch through. I chose destinations which were equally from Europe and the rest of the world, spacing them out so it doesn't go from random destinations around the world to 5 European destinations that are all remotely similar. On the right hand page I planned out how the pages of my book will actually print, which pages will print on the same piece of paper, so that I could figure out the middle double page spread, to ensure that the triangle photographic spread is actually directly in the middle, so that it has the desired effect. 

I then produced a mock up book, using the right amount of sheets of paper, to see roughly how thick it will be, and see how easily the stapler will go through the paper. It isn't as thick as I thought it would be, although the stapler we had in the studio refused to go through the stock properly, the staples kept on getting bunched up, so I resorted to poking a staple through the holes previous attempts had made, then folding the edges back myself. This made me a bit wary for when it comes to printing my publication properly, although I know the stapler in the digital print resource is a lot better than this one, I still have my doubts. When organising my pages in this mock up book I found that I was spreading my information out a bit too thinly towards the end of the book, and decided to include a world map after my destination information, just before the survey results section. I thought this will help people pinpoint where the places they have just read about on the map, and learn more about the location of other places I hadn't researched. 

This is an example of the double page spreads for each destination throughout my publication, and how I am to position the title, body text and photographs within the pages, although for each destination the photographic layout will vary slightly, just so that every page isn't exactly the same.

I showed my mock up book to one of my peers to ask for feedback on it, whether they thought the layout and order of the pages was effective, and if there was anything they suggested I should change. They commented that they liked the acetate cover because it is creative and different. They thought it was good how I included an introduction so that people will know what the publication is about. They said they liked the general layout of the publication, especially the centre page that breaks everything up, because it is an interesting and unusual break in the book. The final thing they commented was that the map idea next to the survey section was strategic and also flows well being after the destination pages.
I was really pleased with this feedback as it confirmed that my publication was effective and flowed well. There was also no negative comments either, which I don't believe means there is nothing I could changed about my publication, but it is comforting to know there are no striking problems with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment