Thursday 19 February 2015

OUGD406 STUDIO BRIEF 2 - INITIAL THUMBNAIL SKETCHES

To start off this brief I produced a series of initial thumbnail sketches thinking of different ideas and design treatments for this new cover.

Initially I thought about about creating a typeface using circles, and just cutting off different parts to make each individual letter. I then thought about placing of the text and perhaps the use of a pattern, using the semi circle design from originally, which I thought looked like the counter in an uppercase "D". I thought about more typefaces, script style ones and elongated uppercase ones, also different sizes of type as well. I also tried joining the "d" to the "L" as well, however I don't think this works at all, it just looks forced and unnatural. 

Here I experimented with squares in a grid like fashion to reflect the different objects discussed in the book, trying different layouts, however this looks a bit cluttered and not making the best use of the space available. I also tried a dotted pattern behind the word "DESIGN" as well, to show more of a pattern. Again I experimented with the dotted semi circle pattern in these as well, showing how it looks like the counter of the "D" and the actual shape of the "G" just simplified. 
Next I will take some of these designs and digitalise them, as it's hard to see what they'd look like digitally just by sketching them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment