Tuesday 17 February 2015

OUGD406 STUDIO BRIEF 2 - SECONDARY RESEARCH

To help with the designing of the front cover for my book, Design Literacy, Understanding Graphic Design, I thought it best to start off with researching into existing book cover designs.

This cover was designed by Salamander Hill Design, and I like the hand drawn quality it has, despite appearing to be quite a word heavy book judging by the title. I think the use of just the title within the design, rather than all of the text on the page, really highlights it. The use of a mix of colours also makes this book appear more modern than the content may suggest, and definitely entices you to want to read it, giving the cover a lively, cheerful appearance.
This book cover I think reflects the contents of my own book quite nicely, the different squares reflecting different objects within my book, and the use of different colours also enhances this. I think the colourful nature of this book helps to take away from it's educated content, which is perhaps what I am looking for my own cover to do. 
This book cover is also very interesting to me, as it had taken the counter from "D" for Darwin, and produced it very simply in white. But what makes it interesting is that the "D" in whole had been reproduced using different illustrations of finches I presume, reflecting the content of the book, but placed just to the left and above of the white "D", but so that they still overlap massively. This creates a shadow type effect which is interesting and unique. All of the text in contained within the white "D", but it doesn't stretch beyond the borders of the finches "D" either, so is framed quite nicely. The colours on this design are all quite neutral and simple, perhaps to highlight the importance of the finch in the book, the only illustration on the cover, and the main focus really.

No comments:

Post a Comment