Sunday 4 January 2015

OUGD405 STUDIO BRIEF 2 - FRONT PAGE FACT FILE CARD

I decided that for my fact file cards to work as a unit I needed to have a front page, to act as an introductory page to suggest what the cards are about. 
I decided to use a photograph from my destinations research to place on the title card, to give it some sort of imagery to accompany the title. However I wanted it to still keep within the blue and purple colour scheme.

This is the photograph I chose to use on my title card of Stockholm. I chose this photograph because I thought it looks really tranquil and reflective of a lot of the places I have looked at, the colourful houses along a river, with snow as well which reflects the cooler destinations. I also chose this photographs because I like how it has a distinctive horizon of houses, how it goes from plain sky to detailed houses and river banks to simple river. It's almost in stripes and I thought this was very aesthetically appealing.
I didn't just want this photograph to be on my front title card as it is in it's original state, so I opened it onto  Photoshop and manipulated it.

This is my finished photograph once it had been manipulated on Photoshop. I started by changing the mode to greyscale, then duotone, using the same shade of purple from my fact file cards, but using one darker and one lighter shade to make the image more detailed. I then added a filter called "cutout" which made it look more stylised and cartoony, to make it work more like a pattern than a photograph. I am really pleased with how it has turned out, it still has detail in it, but looks more posterised. 
I then uploaded the photograph onto Illustrator and realised that if I place this photograph onto my blank card, then there's going to be an awful edge at the top of the photograph where the sky ends, which won't look aesthetically appealing at all. So using the fill tool I filled in the sky with no fill, so that it just appears white on a white background. This will leave the horizon of the rooftops to be where the photograph ends, which will look much more aesthetically appealing and interesting.
I positioned the photograph on the card so that it's highest tip reaches exactly the midpoint of the page. I did this so there was an even balance between text and image. I used the same size type as for the destinations headings, as I thought this would continue the appearance. I chose to have the text centrally aligned because I thought this would make the card look more fluent, with the photograph spanning the width of the card, the text needed to be centrally aligned so that the page wasn't weighted more on one side than another.

No comments:

Post a Comment